My Guide Website?
Krakow: Guided Tour of the Cathedral on Wawel Hill
Discover the charms of the magnificent Royal Cathedral on Wawel Hill, from the top of the bell tower to the underground chapels, uncover the history and sacrum during a short guided tour.
Our Top Experiences and Tours in Krakow:If youʻre booking your trip to Krakow last minute, we have you covered. Below are some of the top tours and experiences!
- Look inside the royal temple and admire its beauty
- Marvel at the craftsmanship of the rulers' tombs and hear about their achievemen
- Climb the bell tower and look at Krakow from a new perspective
- Visit a place of religious worship and pilgrimage related to John Paul II
DescriptionFor centuries, the Wawel Hill in Krakow, following the example of other European cities, served as the seat of secular (castle) and spiritual (cathedral) power. Architecturally, the Wawel Cathedral is a three-nave Gothic basilica, made of brick and limestone. Over the next centuries, a set of accompanying buildings of various styles, such as towers (currently 3) and chapels (18), were added to the nave. More important, however, are the symbolic and material goods that this squat edifice conceals. Throughout its 1000-year history, the cathedral was the place of coronations of Polish kings, royal weddings, christenings of royal children, as well as the burial place of almost all Polish rulers and people of special merit for the country. Saints Stanislaus and Wenceslaus are worshiped in it, inside there is the Altar of the Homeland, above it there is a huge Zygmunt Bell, it is decorated with numerous works of famous artists. And the whole cathedral is a great necropolis of Polish rulers. And although it is difficult for an untrained ear to grasp the intricacies of their genealogy, their fate and causes of death sometimes carry a universal message or are simply the basis for interesting stories. Therefore, in the Krakow cathedral there is a place for spiritual experiences and lofty feelings as well as mundane gossip about the life of the powerful. Experience the diversity of the cathedral with this guided tour, because it's worth it.
IncludesProfessional guide Entrance ticket to the Wawel Cathedral interior, royal tombs and bell tower)
- The Wawel Cathedral is an active place of religious worship. During religious, state, jubilee celebrations or visits by important guests, access to the cathedral, royal tombs and bell tower may be withheld or restricted without prior notification.