My Guide Website?
Wieliczka Salt Mine Tour Poland259 Reviews
Discover the beauty of the Wieliczka's Salt Mine, a fascinating site created both by man and nature. Walk through corridors of salt excavated in the rock and visit chambers to see the site's current exhibition.
- Walk down the 2-kilometer long tourist route located in an authentic salt mine
- Hear the story of the development of mining while being shown the examples of mining machines
- Ride up back to surface with original lift
DescriptionDiscover one of the most eagerly visited tourist sites in Poland with a visit to Wieliczka Salt Mine. This unique and beautiful site was naturally formed about 15 million years ago. During almost nine centuries of salt exploitation, Wieliczka Salt Mine developed into an extensive underground city with a therapeutic climate and steady temperature of 14ºC. By the 15th century the mine was already visited as a cultural and geological phenomenon. Nowadays it is a complex labyrinth consisting of over 300 kilometers of galleries. The mine features about 3,000 chambers over 9 floors, the last of which is found 327 meters underground. The 2 kilometer tourist route in Wieliczka includes 22 chambers connected by galleries. A licensed, English-speaking guide will show you the ancient shafts and mysterious salt lakes on-site. You will also discover a collection of mining machines and equipment, sculptures, bas-reliefs, and the impressive and opulent St. Kinga’s chapel. At the end of your tour, you will find a cozy, underground restaurant where you can take a rest and have lunch. In 1978 Wieliczka Salt Mine became one of the first UNESCO World Heritage sites.
IncludesTransportation Courier (tour leader) Local guide Entrance ticket to the Salt Mine
- Please note that the Salt Mines in Wieliczka are closed for visitors on 1 November, 24, 25, and 31 December, and 1 January.
- You'll walk all the way down (800 steps in-all on the tourist route)
- To get back to the surface there is a lift provided
- The temperature in the Salt Mine is a constant 14-15ºC all year long
- If you buy the student ticket, you must bring a student ID card with you and be less than 26 years old (they check the ID cards in the Salt Mine)