From Krakow: Wieliczka Salt Mine Tour42 Reviews
Prepare to be amazed at the devotion and superstition that drove miners to carve figures, monuments, and altarpieces into the walls of an 800-year-old salt mine. Benefit from pickup from designated hotels in Krakow.
- Walk down 360 steps and visit a UNESCO World Heritage Site
- Marvel at chapels carved into walls
- Visit a surreal underground world with caverns and lakes
DescriptionAs you walk down the 360 steps into the salt mine, you have the impression you are entering a vast underground city, complete with huge caverns and underground lakes. This underground world has earned a place on the UNESCO World Cultural Heritage list thanks to the creativity of the miners who carved chapels out of the walls, hundreds of metres below the surface. You will visit the largest of the chapels, dedicated to St Kinga, the patron saint of salt miners. This subterranean church is richly decorated with chandeliers, sculptures, and religious figures carved out of salt. As you follow the 2 1/2-kilometre walk, you'll pass statues dating back to the 18th century depicting mythical, historical and religious figures. The last stop in the mine is the souvenir shop and snack bar. From here, the lift carries you back to the surface.
IncludesHotel pick-up and drop off (selected centrally located Krakow hotels only) Air-conditioned vehicle Elevator ride to the ground level on exit Headsets Local live guide Tour escort/host Entrance ticket Gratuities (optional) Food and drink (unless specified)
- Not wheelchair accessible
- Infants must sit on laps
- Wieliczka Salt Mine tour is not recommended for participants with walking disabilities (there are 800 steps on the way, including 380 right at the start) and for participants with claustrophobia
- The guided walk through Wieliczka Salt Mine consists of 20 monumental chambers joined by 1.5 miles (2.5 kilometers) of pathways. Visitors entering the Wieliczka Salt Mine descend a 380-step staircase to Level 1 (64 meters below ground level). This walk is not strenuous and can be undertaken in ordinary footwear, however you are asked to consider the walk and 380-step staircase when booking this tour. The return to the surface will be by lift up the Danilowicz Shaft, from Level 3 (135 meters below ground level)
- The temperature in the Wieliczka Salt Mine, though constant is low (14C or 57F). That is why even in summer, warm clothes should be worn
Easy cancellationCancel up to 24 hours in advance to receive a full refund
Reserve Your Experience
Instant Booking ConfirmationBook Now