My Guide Website?
Krakow: Nowa Huta Tour with a Local NGO Guide102 Reviews
Do something different during your time in Krakow and explore the district of Nowa Huta with a local volunteer guide. See the typical Socialist Realist architecture of the planned neighborhood, designed as a utopian city by the Communist regime.
- Explore one of the most interesting and more recent neighborhoods of Krakow
- See the typical Socialist Realist architecture of Nowa Huta
- Learn how the area was planned as a utopian city
- Get up close to a Soviet tank from World War II
- Go down to the underground shelters built in preparation for a nuclear war
DescriptionGet an interesting lesson about the history of Nowa Huta and see typical examples of Socialist Realist architecture aboard a Communist-era car. Learn where the large statue of Lenin stood on Aleja Róż (Avenue of Roses), and marvel at the grandeur of Plac Centralny (Central Square). Get familiar with the history of Polish communism by taking a ride in a classic Polish car of that era and visiting bomb shelters that were built around a city in the case of World War III. Get impressive views from Centrum E and the Nowa Huta Cultural Center, and then look for the shelters built to prepare for nuclear war. See the former Światowid Cinema, and visit the 13th-century Mogila Abbey and its little church of Saint Barthélemy. Learn about the legend of Queen Wanda on Wanda Mound, and discover the birthplace of the district at the Kombinat steel factory. Look at a famous sign that was altered after the fall of communism, and take photos of a Soviet tank outside the Ludowy Theater (People’s Theater). Discover the story of the Arka Pana (Lord's Ark) Church and Chapel of Conciliation and the battle the locals waged to have it built. Upgrade your tour to the extended 3.5-hour option, and include a visit to either a Cold War bomb shelter or a communist apartment.
IncludesHotel pickup and drop-off on request NGO guide Transportation by classic car Private tour of The History of Nowa Huta Quarter museum Visit to communist apartment (if option chosen) Visit to Cold War bomb shelter (if option chosen) Entrance tickets to the museum Food and drinks
- This tour is in English, but can also be organized in Dutch, French, Italian, or Spanish if booked at least 48 hours in advance, subject to availability
- The tour is organized by the local NGO, The Foundation of Positive Promotion of Nowa Huta
Easy cancellationCancel up to 24 hours in advance to receive a full refund
Reserve Your Experience
Instant Booking ConfirmationBook Now